|Developer(s):||Gameloft Montréal/Gameloft Montreal|
|Release date:||June 7, 2013|
|Genre:||Action-adventure (third-person graphical perspective (primarily))|
|Preceded by:||Gangstar City|
|Followed by:||Gangstar: New Orleans|
Gangstar Vegas (originally known as Gangstar Vegas: City of Sin and currently known as Gangstar Vegas: World of Crime) is an open-world action-adventure video game developed by Gameloft Montréal and published by Gameloft. It is the sixth (seventh counting Gangstar City) installment in the Gangstar series, the fourth to be three-dimensional (3D), and the sixth to be released for Android and iOS. It was globally released on June 7, 2013. As the name implies, the game is set in Las Vegas.
Gangstar Vegas is a third-person open-world action-adventure video game; the graphical perspective is capable of being panned. The game world may be traversed on foot or by vehicle.
Professional mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter Jason "the Kid" Malone is bribed by the powerful Mafia don Frank Veliano to take a dive in a match against Pietro Holston. Veliano tells Jason to fall in the fourth round but Pietro falls before Jason can take the dive. As a result, he is chased by Frank and his henchmen, before Karen Olsen, the accountant, and bodyguard of Vera "Leatherface" Montello, arrives and helps him escape. Jason later works for the Montello crime lord with Eric "E-Man", a pimp and drug maker-dealer, and Karen mostly in causing chaos against the Velianos.
Frank and his henchmen later storm the Montellos' celebration, capturing Jason and forcing him to work for the Velianos, including Benny, Frank's right-hand man, and mayoral candidate Reverend Winston "Preacher" Goodman. Jason steals a boat, a seaplane and a helicopter for the Velianos, alongside fighting the Huevos, a Hispanic street gang. After crashing a Huevos party however, Jason finds out that the Velianos have kidnapped Karen and are forcing Vera to hand over her strip club, Fire and Vice, to Frank in exchange for Karen.
Jason helps the Montellos save Karen by stealing wire-tapping devices from a military base and planting it to pinpoint Frank and Karen's position. He later joins E-Man and Vera to raid Frank's casino, where Karen is being held. They rescue her and escape Frank's soldiers, but at the cost of Vera sacrificing herself to stop reinforcements, out of remorse for having bribed Pietro to lose the MMA fight.
Enraged by Vera's loss, and the truth that Frank killed her father, Karen wants Jason out of the Mafia war. Jason saves her again from Veliano's soldiers, convincing her to accept his help. Karen kisses Jason before reclaiming Fire and Vice. Jason sabotages Frank's villa and uses the media, the only business in Vegas not controlled by Veliano, to mock the LVPD's incompetence (Frank has also bribed the police).
Finding out that Benny has been arrested, Frank seeks to remove him from his system. Jason rescues Benny as Veliano mobsters intercept the police convoy. Benny has photos of Goodman's debauchery, which Jason uses to blackmail Goodman so the latter turns against Frank, otherwise the photos would be leaked. Cornered and betrayed, and with the FBI on his tail, Frank tries to flee Vegas with his money. Jason confronts him (with a helicopter) on the Wrecking Ball Hotel Casino Tower with a helicopter, only to have Frank shoot at him, leaking the helicopter's fuel tank in the process. Jason defeats Frank in a fistfight; the latter then pushes the trolley of money onto him, making him almost fall off the building; Jason lights up the petrol, setting Frank on fire and falling to his death, and parachute-jumps onto Karen's Störer.
- Jason "the Kid" Malone is a former bouncer at a Las Vegas club. He was given the opportunity to train and become a professional mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter by Frank Veliano after he saw him during a fight. Closer than ever to becoming a star, Frank’s betrayal comes as a hard blow for The Kid. But true champs always get up, even in the most desperate situations.
- Vera "Leatherface" Montello is the head of the Montello Mafia family and widow to Johnny "Jack the Hammer" Montello. She runs a strip club called Fire and Vice in Las Vegas. She blames Frank for being too drunk to drive Johnny to the hospital on the day the latter died. She was also responsible for bribing Pietro Holston to dive in his match against Jason, causing the latter to be chased by the Velianos for not being able to become part of their system. Vera has a tendency to go berserk when she is drunk and has a collection of whiskey, tequila, and other drinks at the Fire and Vice bar.
Karen Olsen is Vera's accountant and bodyguard. Her mother left her and her father for an Elvis impersonator when she was three years old, and she was then raised solely by her father, who was a policeman. Mr. Olsen sought to unveil the corruption within the ranks of the LVPD but was killed by them, who were bribed by Frank. Karen starts out cold towards Jason, but later warms up to him, and eventually falls in love with him. Karen is specialized in firearms.
Eric, more commonly known by his nickname E-Man, is a drug dealer-maker and prostitute caretaker for the Montello family. He tries out most of the drugs he makes, putting him in a perpetually inebriated and "high" state. He has a habit of using historical and fantasy terms to describe people and things (Vera as "the Empress", a skater who stole his drugs as a "dragon", Johnny's era as "the Roman empire", etc.).
Frank "Mr. V" Veliano is the main antagonist of Gangstar Vegas. He started out as a thief before joining the Montello mafia family, which was then ruled by Johnny. One night Johnny was severely injured, but Frank was too drunk to drive him to the hospital, causing the kingpin to die. Frank was ousted from the Montellos and later established his own mafia family. Through bribery, coercion, and threats, Frank controlled most of the businesses in Vegas, along with its municipal government and the LVPD. He also endorsed Reverend Winston Goodman's mayoral election campaign, arranged the killing of Karen Olsen's father, who wanted to reveal the LVPD's corruption, and nurtured Jason Malone as an MMA fighter. However, Frank did not seize control of Vegas' media business, and this weakness is used by Jason after he sabotages Frank's mansion.
Benny is Frank's right-hand man (formerly). A man of muscle than of wits, Benny is paranoid that Frank would one day kill him. Benny convinces Jason to crash the Huevos' party while he kidnaps Karen. However, hope and redemption come for him when Jason saves him from both the Velianos and the LVPD, who arrested him. He keeps photos of Frank and Winston doing illegal activities such as bribery and debauchery in case Frank seeks to take him out; Jason later uses this weakness of Frank's to decrease the latter's power.
Winston "Preacher" Goodman is a priest running for Mayor of Las Vegas. Although he seems to be clean and serene from the outside, Winston has been involved in debauchery, corruption, and property manipulation. He was endorsed by Frank for his campaign but later turns against him in order to stop Jason from leaking photos of his debauchery.
Little Joe is a minor street gangster that only appears in the mission "Runner on the Run", in which E-Man's drugs were stolen by him. During the mission, E-Man asks Jason to help him get the drugs back. Jason chases after Little Joe, who quickly flees the scene. Jason eventually catches him after the street skater becomes exhausted from the chase. Jason beats him up and brings back E-Man's drugs, leaving Little Joe shaken but alive.
Barry is Frank's second right-hand man. He only appears in the mission "Wearin' a Wire". Jason follows him to his motel to get information about what Barry was doing taking a prostitute in his car (who is one of Vera's prostitutes); he wears a wire which allows Jason to hear what Barry is saying. He arrives at his motel and Jason gets to a vantage point and kills him and his henchmen once the prostitute leaves.
Note: Similarities to real-life models are noted following a hyphen.
- Weapons in Gangstar Vegas are based on real-life ones; these weapons also appear in Gameloft's Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation, the three-dimensional version of Modern Combat 4: Zero Hour, and Modern Combat 5: Blackout:
- Handgun - Glock 18 (Schoc-33 in the 3D version of MC4)
- Revolver - Colt Python (.44 Revolver in MC3)
- Mini SMG - IMI Mini Uzi (Viny Pro in MC4)
- SMG - Heckler & Koch MP5K (Jolt-7 MP in MC4)
- Shotgun - Remington 870 (R780 in MC4)
- Riot Shotgun - Benelli M4/M1014 (N4010 in MC3)
- Heavy Shotgun - Atchisson AA-12 (Roar 3000 in MC3)
- Classic AR - Kalashnikov AK-12 (KR-200 in MC4)
- Tactical AR - Heckler & Koch XM8 (ZN6 in MC3)
- Modern AR - Heckler & Koch G36C (PSD2 in MC4)
- Heavy AR - FN SCAR-H (Bravel-1 in MC3)
- Sniper Rifle - Remington XM2010 ESR (X6 in MC4)
- Marksman Rifle - Remington RSASS (E24 SASR in MC4)
- Machine Gun - Heckler & Koch MG4 (Shred-4 in MC3)
- Rocket Launcher - Saab M136 AT4 (CTK-88 Crumplor in MC4)
- Street Mower - Thompson Submachine Gun
- Bolt Action Rifle - Barrett M82A1/M107A1
Whether these weapons are based on the ones from the Modern Combat games is still at debate; some claim Gameloft is lazy, while others say these are probably easter eggs. Also, the military truck is the same model from MC4, as seen in Red Summit, driven by Private Downs.
- A character by the name of Malone appears in Modern Combat 3: Fallen Nation. He is one of the soldiers who fought in the Battle of Los Angeles during the KPR Alliance invasion.
- Vegas was mentioned a few times before this game was released. In Gangstar: West Coast Hustle, after they arrive in Los Angeles Juan asks Pedro if they are going to go to Vegas (alongside other questions related to this) after they escaped from Mexico. In the three-dimensional (3D) version of Gangstar: Miami Vindication, Johnny Gainsville wanted to marry Betty in Las Vegas before spending honeymoon in Los Angeles.
- N.O.V.A. 3 is referenced in Gangstar Vegas; if one travels to the Heart of Vegas and then to the casino area they may find a poster reading "N.O.V.A. 3: The Musical".
- A laser weapon from N.O.V.A. 3 is one of the main weapons in the game.